Today is World Environment Day! June 5th has been designated by the United Nations as World Environment Day to promote “worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment.” 2018’s World Environment Day is centered around beating plastic pollution.
If you can’t reuse it, refuse it.
The 2018 World Environment Day seeks to influence change in these 4 key areas:
- Reducing Single Use Plastics
- Improving Waste Management
- Phasing Out Microplastics
- Promoting Research into Alternatives
The UN shares some dismal statistics on why the message “Beat Plastic Pollution” is so dire right now. Microplastics in the seas now outnumber the stars in our galaxy. It is estimated that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish. Given how vast our world’s oceans are, that’s devastating.
Let that motivate you. Today is the people’s day to make an impact. We can harness our individual and community actions and transform them into a collective power that has a legacy of real and lasting impact on the planet. Inspire your family, friends, the company where you work; reduce, reuse and recycle plastics whether you’re at home, work or out in your neighborhood.
- Be an informed citizen and consumer. Purchase from and invest in companies that are accountable for the life-cycle of their consumer products and use a circular model of design and production.
- Embrace sensible consumption habits on a day-to-day basis. Buy reusable straws and turn down plastic cutlery. Avoid buying over-packaged products. Upcycle products you own.
- Organize or take part in a community event. Take part in a river or beach cleanup. Join the global #BeatPlasticPollution game of tag by taking a selfie with your canvas shopping bag, metal straw or any other reusable product and tag your friends, telling them to do the same.
- Get creative! Use today to reflect and dream up ideas on how you can make the biggest impact. Then share your ideas with us and the world.
Read more about what you can do on World Environment Day from the UN's official website.
EARTH EQUITY ADVISORS IS A REGISTERED INVESTMENT ADVISER. INFORMATION PRESENTED IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT INTEND TO MAKE AN OFFER OR SOLICITATION FOR THE SALE OR PURCHASE OF ANY SPECIFIC SECURITIES, INVESTMENTS, OR INVESTMENT STRATEGIES. INVESTMENTS INVOLVE RISK AND UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED, ARE NOT GUARANTEED. BE SURE TO FIRST CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED FINANCIAL ADVISER AND/OR TAX PROFESSIONAL BEFORE IMPLEMENTING ANY STRATEGY DISCUSSED HEREIN.