It all started over a cup of organic coffee…
In 2012, Earth Equity Advisors Founder & CEO, Peter Krull was enjoying a cup of coffee with Green Sage Cafe Founder & Co-Owner, Randy Talley. Randy, who is a natural foods pioneer in North Carolina, asked Pete to create a “basket of sustainable stocks” for him. Previously, Earth Equity Advisors only focused on mutual fund portfolios, but Pete took Randy’s request as a challenge.
Over the next several weeks, Pete created the initial investment philosophy, metrics and parameters for the portfolio. He then created a universe of potential stock investments based on those parameters and then went about narrowing the list to determine the best investment possibilities.
Eventually, Pete Asked Randy if he could brand the portfolio with the Green Sage name and offer it to other clients, and Randy agreed. The Green Sage Sustainability Portfolio was born.
What makes this portfolio special
We focus on positive investing – asking the question, “what do we WANT to own?” Historically, responsible investing has focused on exclusion, and while we do exclude all companies involved in the fossil fuel industry, that’s where the similarities end.
What do we want to own?
- Alternative energy – solar, wind, geothermal
- Energy efficiency
- Battery technology
- Water distribution, filtration and efficiency technologies
- Natural & organic products and services
- Sustainable real estate
- Information technology, internet of things
- Green finance, insurance and community investments
- Recycling and circular economy
- Green building technology
- Cutting edge biotechnology